Sunday, August 21, 2011

Unplugging may be best way to boost self-esteem

Today, I’m breaking one of the sacred rules for women. I am 164 lbs. and 5’6”.

I know, I know. Women are never supposed to reveal their weight. If we do, we’re clearly not supposed to tell the truth unless that number is well within the bounds of making a doctor suspicious of an eating disorder.

In 2011 at 164 lbs., I’m supposed to feel ashamed, uncomfortable, hide from cameras while searching for the next greatest diet. And some days, for the most part, that’s just what I do.
A poor body image that often paralyzes women has been linked to advertising for years and has even made us reconsider the real beauty of unquestionable icons like Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell.

To read the full article, go to The Washington Times Communities online.

No comments:

Post a Comment